A child’s brain development during the mother’s pregnancy up till he or she is two-years-old determines how the brain will function for the rest of their lives. While the environment that one grows up in plays an important role, what one eats is also crucial.1
Certain nutrients are essential in ensuring healthy brain development. They include protein, zinc, iron, choline, folate, iodine, vitamins A, D, B6, and B12, as well as long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids.1
Example of brain foods
Foods that contain these nutrients include.
- Salmon. A wonderful source of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids (an example of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids).2
- Avocado. Rich in vitamin B6 and folate. They also contain vitamin A, zinc, and iron.3
- Tomatoes. A good source of vitamin B6, folate, iron, zinc, choline and protein.4
- Whole Grains. Contain vitamin B-complex and provide the brain with glucose.5
Wholegrain Salmon & Avocado Bowl6
The above ingredients actually goes very well together. Learn to prepare a quick and delicious meal for your kids!
- 4 oz. salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked whole grain medley
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- Salt & black pepper
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Repeat on the other side.
- Put the whole grain medley in a bowl and top with salmon, avocado and pickled onions. Enjoy!
Children’s health is always the top concern for parents. Cigna Health4Kids Premium Refundable Plan offers your children with healthcare protection and more. For details, click here.
- https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/brain-food-children-nutrition-2018012313168. Viewed on 21 July 2018.
- https://www.first1000days.ie/oily-fish-during-pregnancy-a-great-way-to-get-your-omega-3-and-vitamin-d/. Viewed on 21 July 2018.
- https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado#section2. Viewed on 21 July 2018.
- https://swisse.com/en-au/science/ingredients/tomato. Viewed on 21 July 2018.
- https://www.parentcircle.com/article/9-superfoods-to-boost-your-childs-brain-growth/. Viewed on 21 July 2018.
- http://setthetableblog.com/set-the-table-3/whole-grain-salmon-avocado-bowl. Viewed on 21 July 2018.